The Two Sides (2007): The Finale

Story
"The Finale", as it name indicates, is not just the final track of the disc. It was the last song I made, the last day I could make a song with the Mac.

After fully knowing "The two sides" concept, which begins with the creation of the world, and in its time, it ended with "Working song" - that is, the protagonist remembering all his lives, I decided to make a proper ending to the whole concept, and now it would be, the ending of the world.

I chose "The Finale" instead of "The End" as a title, since I thought "the end" would be too redundant as a title.

The Finale narrates all the events listened in previous songs, so this song wraps up the disc and makes it clear that all those events were connected, lived by the same entity. It was, also, the ending of my school, the ending of the time with the Mac, the ending with my close friendship with my friends from school, and the end of the disc, so "The Finale" celebrated all of this.

Two takes were recorded the same day. The first take had different vocals, but they somehow were ruined and I quickly recorded a second set, which is heard in the disc.

The tone of my voice, different from the rest of the disc, is my approach to a more Roger Plant style.

After I finished the track, I saved it and exported it. I turned off the Mac, never to use it again.

Concept
After remembering all his lives, and trying to write about them ("Working Song"), the protagonist witnesses the end of the world, and in a last song, he expresses all what he lived, and all that happened.

The song contains references to all previous songs, for the disc to be clearly connected. The references are:
Everything started at the beginning - The Beginning
A joke was made, God flew away - Parody Of The Existence
My life started but then I died - after The Third Side
I have met the Two Sides - name of the disc, life and death

I was normal but then I changed - Wanna Know My Name? Later, Nothing Is Like It Used To Be
I became an assassin, yes, my man - I'm Back (Like An Angel In The Sky)
But then I was sad, I killed myself - Nothing's Being Made
Then I revived, oh again - Involuntary Suicide

I had many lives over an over - What Can I Do To Cure This Evil?
I explored the death, believe it, friend - Afterlife Experiences
I came back here, again - Working Song
But it doesn't matter, it's the end - The Finale

"The Finale" was my favorite track, since the whole concept of the disc can be understood by listening to this song. With it, the disc was made, and now you're listening it.

Lyrics

The world has come to an end
The world has finished already
I told you it wouldn't be long
This is the finale, the end, the denouement

Everything started at the beginning
A joke was made, God flew away
My life started, but then I died
I have met the two sides

This is the end, the finale
We can't do anything about it
A decision was made, oh, yeah
And it occurred very soon

I was normal, but then I changed
I became an assassin, yes, my man
But then I was sad, I killed myself
Then I revived, oh, again

I had many lives, over and over
I explored the death, believe it friend,
I came back here again
But it doesn't matter, it's the end

This is the end, the finale
We can't do anything about it
A decision was made, oh, yeah
And it occurred very soon

And it occurred very soon
And it occurred very soon
It occurred very soon
And it occurred very soon

Technical stuff
Lyrics and production by James Castells.
There's a line that says "then I revived, oh again," however, it is his first revival, so the "oh, again" wouldn't make sense. This was left, thought, to hint that the lives presented in the disc were not the only ones for the protagonist, and he had previous lives which didn't enter in the disc.

Download
To download this song, right click - Save as this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment