The 2 Sides (2012): Story

From the very moment I finished "The Two Sides," back in 2007, I knew things could be much better. And I wasn't wrong.

The problem is, the software - GarageBand - isn't available for Windows, just for Mac, and the Macs are very much more expensive than a PC.

So I thought, the project was over, and that was the disc. But a lot of times I thought how the disc could have been improved.

One of the first things I thought was to improve "The Beginning," adding more sounds, such as one of the thunder. Also, about the concept, I wasn't exactly satisfied how the protagonist passed from an assassin - "I'm Back" - to a lonely, depressed man - "Nothing's Being Made". Something had to be done.

But how?

The years passed and I was able to run GarageBand again, so I found all the special effects and loops I had used for "The Two Sides". Immediately, I commenced the new production of the disc.

Unlike the 2007 version, David didn't help me here. He said that the project was done - the 2007 version was the result of that. But I wanted to improve it, so he just gave me some advises here and there. Everything else was mine.

As I said, I wanted to clarify the story, about our protagonist, passing from an assassin to a depressed man. So the first thing I did was tell the story about how he ended being an assassin - that would be, "Slowdown". The next song, was how, after being an assassin, started to become crazy. That would be "Back In Time".

With these new songs, I wanted to improve an old song, that I liked too much - "The Finale" - so I created the new version, being the first song of the original disc to receive a remake.

So I started remaking some of the old songs - "Parody of the existence", "I'm Back", and "Working Song". "The Third Side" was also remade in some point, with some reworked lyrics, as well as "Nothing's Being Made", which lyrics differentiate drastically from the original version.

Unconsciously, I wanted to have a better explanation for the ending of the disc. "Working Song" is about the protagonist remembering his lives, and in "The Finale", the world is done. But what happened? Why did the world end?

Just in time, David consulted me about a song he was making. He had only the instrumental part, and I agreed to put some lyrics on it. With a passing reference to "The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask", I wrote about the moon collapsing on Earth - and ending life, except for the one who sings the song. That was it - I thought, that's the ending I need. So I incorporated this song to the lineup. This song is, of course, "Different".

Lastly, I remade "The Beginning", which was a long and difficult process. "Involuntary suicide" was remade as well, making it faster. After some stuff happened in my life, I wrote "Small little lady", and it fit perfectly before "Involuntary suicide", to explain more why the protagonist killed himself.

Since I was busy with my university and my projects, I didn't remake the rest of the songs. But I took the originals, and somehow edited them.  The new version of "Wanna Know My Name? Later" is a mixup of the master version with its alternate take; the same for "Nothing Is Like It Used To Be". For "What Can I Do To Cure This Evil?", I added the drums from the take 1 (found in "A few words"), to the beginning of the song. And in "Afterlife experiences", I combined the master take with Take 2 (found in "A few words" as well).

The disc was done. I published it here, and now you're reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment