The 2 Sides (2012): Slowdown

Story
"Slowdown" was the first song I did for the new version of the disc. After having GarageBand again, I started experimenting one more time, and "Slowdown" was the result.

In the original disc, I was never totally happy with the concept transition from "I'm back" to "Nothing's being made". So when "Slowdown" came along, I wrote how the assassin stopped murdering people.

The line "Hoping to sit down and wait" was made in reference to the 2011 Japan Tsunami - I was hoping nothing like that would happen to me.

I did two takes of this song. I had the first one, but I wasn't happy with the vocals. After desperately trying everything to get good vocals, I sang "It's just a slowdown, I think I'll saaay-ay". I recorded the rest like this, and after listening it, I was satisfied. And that's the final version.

When you listen it, you can tell I was having a good time.

Concept
Some time passes, and our protagonist, who is still an assassin (as stated in "I'm Back"), starts to wonder why he got here in the first place. After a job killing some men in a hotel, he wants to stop - or at least, have a slowdown. He returns to all his killing scenes, removing all possible evidence, making sure that "police won't find him". But he's sure that his internal peace will be broken - leading to the line "but what will happen inside my mind?", and the next song, "Back in time".

Lyrics
(Yeah)

It's just a slowdown, I think I'll say
There's nothing new here, that's just OK
Hoping to sit down here and wait

I was a bad man in a hotel
After the job I said just hey
Why do I do this to all these men?

Just a slowdown, everything must happen this way
I will be gone now, but I must cover every mistake

(Yeah, yeah, yeah...)

Why must I do now to end this life?
Don't want to be just a criminal
I have to erase all those tracks

The evidence gone, I'm a free man
Police won't find me, I'm sure of that
But what will happen inside my mind?

Just a slowdown, everything must happen this way
I will be gone now, but I must cover every mistake
It was a slowdown, everything just happened that way
And I'm gone now, and I did cover every mistake, yeah

(Yeah... just a slowdown,
yeah, just a slowdown,
yeah, yeah, yeah...)

Technical stuff
Lyrics and production by James Castells.

Download
To download this song, right click - Save as this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment