The 2 Sides (2012): I'm Back

Story
"I'm Back (Like An Angel In The Sky)" was a track which I never felt completely happy with as a master take in "The Two Sides". I always knew that I could improve it, but of course, I needed the software.

When I got GarageBand again, I knew I could create a new version. However, I created two songs first - "Slowdown" and "Back In Time", because in the narrative, I wanted to explain how the protagonist passed from an assassin to a depressed man. So this song was pending.

One day, I was showing a friend of mine what you can do with GarageBand. So I brought in some loops, effects and he was surprised. I told him, "That's one of the amazing things you can do with this." He left, but I liked what I had arranged in that moment.

So I thought, what if this new piece is the intro for "I'm Back"? And that's how it worked. That's why this new version has this intro - that's what I was showing to my friend.

I then sang it, following the original version very closely. One change I did was singing "from the sky" instead of "in the sky" (thereby renaming this song as just "I'm Back"). I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be. Also, in the original version, the line "all right, amazing man" is said; David once said that he thought I sang "all right, I can see it now". As a tribute, I changed the lyrics to match that (except the last time I sing that, in which I sang the original lyrics).

Also, as another tribute, I sang "like an angel in the sky" in the last seconds of the song.

Concept
After having protested all his life, our nameless protagonist gets alienated from the people, and eventually works as a hit man. After some successful jobs, he reunites with his boss, who doesn't want his services anymore. Our protagonist threatens his life, but his boss resits, and he ends up dead at the end. Our protagonist leaves the scene laughing, thinking that his unwelcome return was "like an angel from the sky".

Lyrics

Yes, I'm back, I'm back
Don't believe it, all right
Been away some time
but I'm back, oh yeah

Missed me, have you? Or not?
Don't remember, oh, no?
Maybe this will remind
all the troubles I've passed

Because I'm back, like an angel from the sky
Because I'm back, all right, I see it now

Can you see me, just now
Having a gun in my hands?
Maybe I will shoot ya
Who knows about my mind?

Can't you see me no more?
Let us look at the gun
Oh, now, jeez, now, I see
the trigger pulled by me

Because I'm back, like an angel from the sky
Because I'm back, all right, I see it now

Because I'm back, like an angel from the sky
Because I'm back, all right, amazing man

Oh, yeah, I'm back
Oh, yeah, that's right
Because I'm back
like an angel in the sky

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh...

Technical stuff
Lyrics and production by James Castells.

Download
To download this song, right click - Save as this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment