The 2 Sides (2012): Working Song

Story
One of the songs with most potential in the original disc, "Working Song" was a song I remade with no problems. I wanted a longer intro than the original, and some vocals shifted places.

When I remade this song, David told me that a background piano was too loud, and wanted me to remove it. It remained, but much lower than in the first take.

The destruction sound at the end was added later. It was to somehow connect this song with the next one - "The Finale". However, when "Different" came along, it was put after this song. And the destruction sound was explained in that song.

At some point, I wanted to insert some new lyrics at the end. Lyrics that went somewhat like, "I see the future, not only my past!". In the end this was scrapped, but those lyrics appeared much, much later.

Concept
After living many lives, our protagonist finds himself with a new life - but this time, he remembers his previous lives. He starts writing about them, but no one believes him. His tales are transformed into songs - working songs, songs with no titles, and just stories.

Later, the world ends - destruction is heard, and then just silence. The explanation for this comes in the next song.

Lyrics
Uh yeah

I'm in a place after dying one more time,
perhaps you may think that I'm just bothering ya
Who may be a man with a plan?
The answer is me - you didn't know that

Because I've been dead so, many times
Really I became sick of staying like that
And you'd rather see me more dead than
a piece of garbage in my garage

That's right
Now

But I'm alright, some say I'm just back
and my promise is I'm gonna stay like that
You wanna ask, what did I do wrong?
Nothing, nothing, it's just a working song

Just a working song, yeah

Aha, aha, aha, just a working song, yeah...

Technical stuff
Lyrics and production by James Castells.

Download
To download this song, right click - Save as this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment