The 2 Sides (2012): Different

Story
The story of "Different" involves many songs, voices, and stories themselves.

It all started on an afternoon, in the days I was remaking The Two Sides.

I was resting in my bedroom when David wrote to me via Messenger. He spoke about a song, that he had recorded with his guitar and some instruments, on a rainy day. But the song had no lyrics. The song had him play the instruments, but saying no words, only "la-la-la"s.

I listened it and I liked it. He had no lyrics, and no title for the song. Since he thought the song wasn't like the songs he usually did, he had a temporal name for the song. That name was "Different".

After some suggestions, I said to him that I would make some lyrics for the song. He was excited about the idea, after all, it would be technically the first time he would make the instrumentation and I would do the lyrics.

I heard his song over and over again - and tried to make the lyrics match the rhythm of the "la-la-la"s he had. The music, apparently, reminded me of The Legend Of Zelda - Majora's Mask, a game in which the moon falls down. I wasn't referencing the game, but apparently in a subconscious level, I did.

That's how the song started - "the moon's falling down." I wrote about how the protagonist of the song knew that the moon was going to fall down, but nobody believed him, and after he saved himself, he had to live all alone.

The song had sounds of rain at the beginning, because David had recorded the song on a rainy day. I incorporated that into the lyrics as well: "the rain's all that's left."

David's temporal title came in handy, surprisingly. The song was about someone who knew the future - someone different. So the temporal title became the real title, and the "Different" idea appeared on the song.

When I sent him the lyrics, David was pleased. He didn't know how to sing it, so I recorded his instrumentation with my voice. With that, he recorded the song with his voice. He sent me the song, but he wasn't pleased. He left the song there, unfinished, for some days.

But "Different" stayed in my head. I wanted to do more with it. I took his voice and mixed it with mine, to create a combined take. But still, I wanted more. What to do, then?

Then I remembered. The lyrics spoke about someone who knew the future. What if, then, our protagonist from The 2 Sides, didn't only know his past (in "Working Song"), but somehow the future as well? Only one thing had to be done, then: create my own version of "Different". I started up GarageBand, and created my version of the song with loops and effects. I added a rain sound at the beginning, just like David's version, since the "rain" bit was part of the lyrics. My version was much faster than him, and I liked it a lot.

A few days later, I spoke with him and told him about my version of the song. "Those are your lyrics, anyway", he said. He thought of my version to be "completely different" (no pun intended).

He had a new take of this "Different" as well - and he had changed the lyrics somewhat. His version can be listened here.

In the end, the moon falling down story-line was incorporated to The 2 Sides - being that the reason for the moon ending, as told in "The Finale". So this song was put before that one, and after "Working song".

Some time after The 2 Sides was finished, I started to record a new disc. This new disc continues from where "The 2 Sides" finished - including the destroyed world by the moon, the previous lives, and the rain.

Concept
After knowing his previous lives ("Working song"), our protagonist finds out that he can also know the future. He knows that the moon will fall down to the Earth. He warns this to some people, but nobody believes him. He is told that he is "different" and stays ignored.

The escapes and saves himself, and watches the moon falling down. Everybody dies, but our protagonist stays alive, albeit alone.

All alone, we writes about this, about being different. He cries for everybody, saying that, at least, he could have died with them.

Lyrics
Moon is coming down,
moon is coming down
It is all we mind,
it is all there's now

Moon is coming down,
moon is coming down
The rain's all that's left
As I find myself

Crying for the men
Didn't see back then
Warnings were correct
and today we're just an empty plate

Uh, fantastic men
Why didn't you listen to me back then?

Was it just because
you thought I was extremely different?

All right, all right, all right
I was right, that's what minds
And for you, all have died,
and for you, all have died

Heaven's there for you,
fate is running through
World is nothing but
holding place you're not

I'll recall this day
when you all just left
Watching the black sky
Waiting your demise

Uh, fantastic men
Why didn't you listen to me back then?

Was it just because
you thought I was extremely different?

All right, all right, all right
All is gone, now there is
nothing you can do for it
nothing you can do for it

Sun is coming now
sun is coming now
Everything feels sane,
no one feels it, then

Flowers have arisen
the sky's blue for now
No one here can see
No one here but me

Praying for your souls,
trapped forever gone

Now I do realize 
for me, all you died

I think it sometimes too
I could have died with you,
I could have died with you,
I could have died with you...

Technical stuff
Lyrics and production by James Castells. Special thanks for David Constante.

Download
To download this song, right click - Save as this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment